Thursday, October 05, 2006

MTA - MT Brains

Two nights ago I descended to the platform of the subway for my hoeward commute intending to board an  M  or an  R  train to Flatbush Avenue and thence transfer to the LIRR.

Or not.

On arriving at the platform I could see one train stuck in the entrance tunnel and another stuck in the exit one. This situation did not change for 10 minutes, during which time not a single announcement was made. I finally deduced that even if the trains started moving there was no way I was going to make my LIRR connection, leaving me with the option of sitting it out, going to Flatbush Avenue if and when the subway started moving people again and then making my way across Long Island by way of a longish stop in Jamaica so I could watch the full Ronkonkoma trains go by or just biting the bullet and going into Manhattan to catch a train from Penn.

Which is what I did.

No sooner had I boarded the Manhattan-bound train and the doors closed, than the trains Flatbush-bound started moving. Stuff like this makes me glad I don't really have super powers like Professor Xavier1. There would be bodies everywhere and I would have to take up residence in the center of the Earth in a secret Fortress of Evil.

1: Which is pronounced "zavier" NOT "ex-avier" Azathoth dammit! It isn't a bloody ex-ylophone. There is no such thing as ex-enophobia.

No comments: